Edexcel triple science only (not for double science students).
|1. Which one of the following diagrams represents the structure of aluminium metal?
2. Aluminium is a very malleable metal and is used to make cooking foil.
Which statement explains why aluminium is malleable?
Marco Verch | CC 2.0
- A. Aluminium atoms are arranged in layers so can slide over each other
- B. Aluminium atoms vibrate around fixed positions in the lattice
- C. Aluminium has strong metallic bonds which require a lot of energy to break
- D. Aluminium contains delocalized electrons which are free to move
|3. Aluminium is used for window frames because it..
- A. is a good conductor of electricity
- B. has a low density
- C. resists corrosion
- D. has a low melting point
|4. Which one of the following statements best describes the structure of a metal?
- A. A giant structure of atoms surrounded by delocalized electrons
- B. A giant structure of atoms sharing electrons
- C. A giant structure of positive and negative ions
- D. A giant structure of positive ions surrounded by delocalized electrons
|5. Aluminium is used to make cans for soft drinks.
|Aluminium is suitable for this use because it..
- A. is malleable and conducts electricity
- B. is malleable and has a low density
- C. has a low melting point and conducts electricity
- D. has a low melting point and a low density
|6. Copper is the metal used in most electrical wiring because it is a very good conductor of electricity.
Łukasz Klepaczewski | Pixabay
|Copper is a good conductor of electricity because it ..
- A. contains ions which are free to move
- B. contains atoms which are not free to move
- C. contains delocalized electrons which are free to move
- D. contains delocalized electrons which are not free to move
|7. Steel is an alloy of iron and is strong. This property makes steel a good metal for use in ..
- A. coins
- B. overhead electricity cables
- C. Window frames
- D. Railway tracks
|8. Which of the following statements about steel is NOT correct?
- A. Stainless steel is used for cutlery as it does not rust
- B. Stainless steel is made by adding other elements to iron
- C. Mild steel is used for car bodies as it is strong and malleable
- D. Mild steel is a compound of iron and carbon
|9. A metallic bond is best described as an electrostatic attraction between ..
- A. positive and negative ions
- B. a lattice of positive ions and delocalized electrons
- C. positively charged nuclei and a shared pair of electrons
- D. metal atoms
|10. Alkali metals are a reactive group of metals.
The reactivity increases down the group of the alkali metals because the ..
- A. outer electron is further from the nucleus so more easily given away
- B. outer electron is closer to the nucleus so more easily given away
- C. outer shell is further from the nucleus so electrons are attracted in more easily
- D. outer shell is closer to the nucleus so electrons are attracted in more easily