10 minutes maximum! Can you do it in 5?
1. The diagram below shows human lungs:
Which label A to D shows the bronchioles?
2. When breathing out the path of the air is ..
3. When we breathe in, which of the following occurs to bring air into the lungs?
4. Which of these facts is true for the bronchioles but not the alveoli?
The table below shows the percentage by volume of some of the gases in inhaled air and exhaled air:
|5. What is the difference in percentage composition of oxygen between inhaled air and exhaled air?
|6. Complete the sentence below about breathing:
|To breathe out the air pressure in our lungs must be the air pressure outside our body.
|7. Why is tar in cigarette smoke a harmful chemical?
|8. Smoking damages the goblet cells and the cilia in the lining of the bronchioles. This causes more mucus to be present in the alveoli.
Why does this lead to reduce gas exchange and the person becoming breathless?
9+10: A student measured her breathing rate at rest. It was 15 breaths per minute. She then ran 400m and measured her breathing rate every minute after she stopped running. The results are shown in this graph:
9. How much slower was her breathing rate 4 minutes after exercise compared to 2 minutes after exercise?
|10. Why did her breathing rate stay high after exercise?